Monday, April 6, 2009

North Georgia

One of my family's favorite places to go is Blue Ridge and McCaysville, Georgia. We spent the day there yesterday and had a great time!

We started going there several years back for the fishing and maybe for the fried pies at Mercier Orchards (plus Mercier has a fantastically clean restroom --- very important to me when traveling away from home --- just in case you want to know!).

We always drive through Blue Ridge and McCaysville and go to Horseshoe Bend Park. My son and husband go fishing. Yesterday, I actually cast a line in the water a couple of times. None of us caught anything, but we did spend some time watching a guy wade out into the Toccoa River first flyfishing and then using a rod and reel. He caught about three fish. My son was a bit jealous. :)

The park has a baseball field too and my son threw some pitches before we headed over to Mercier to grab some pies, apple cider, and a toy flintlock gun for my son. Boys love guns, don't they?

On our way back home, we started to drive through Fort Mountain State Park. We have never been there before and wanted to check it out. We found out it was about 16 miles off the highway, though, so we'll have to save that for another time. It was just getting too late!

I still haven't planned out that camping trip yet. I guess I need to get started with that. Gee, I wonder why I'm dragging my feet?

Oh, I remember, something about sleeping in a TENT!

3 comments:

A. said...

Sounds like a lovely day. I can't wait to find our own little spots around here this year!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Yeah. Ish. Tents.

And McCaysville? I love white water rafting there!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

We used to go to Stone Mountain park every Sunday after church and have a picnic. We even had our own little spot picked out. Great memories from those Sundays.... :-)